Posted to alt.home.repair
sym sym is offline

Default Circuit protection - Federal panel

Jim wrote:
sym wrote:

Jim wrote:

I am adding a shower to an exisiting half bath. Part of the project is
to add a combination heater/ventilator/light near the shower. The
heater portion of the combi unit draws 1500 watts. The present circuit
is #12 TW, about a 10 foot run from the breaker, which is 15 amps. It
presently feeds the light over the bathroom sink, two in-ceiling lights
and a porch light (all of which are now the screw-in fluorescent
"bulbs"). My questions a

1. Should I provide a separate breaker for the combi unit? (The reason
that I haven't just DONE IT rather than composing and posting this long
question is that the panel is maxxed out - all breaker positions taken -
and is so old that I'm not sure I can get a half-width breaker to
substitute for one of the full width ones. The brand is Federal, from
the 60's. Also, while the wiring run is just the 10 feet noted, it goes
around several corners and thru at least one box (the one with the light
over the sink) before it gets to the location where the switches for the
combi unit will be.)

2. Or, should I just go the easy way and replace the existing breaker
with a 20?

3. Last question. I want to put a wind-up time switch on the wire
feeding the 1500 watt heater. Will an Intermatic FD/FF series time
switch (rated for 20 A) last a long time, or will the heavy load eat the
contacts?

Thanks,

Henry

the first thing i reccomend is getting rid of that panel first. yup
federal arc alot panels went out of buisness for a reason their panels
are junk and cause fires.

I saw the website devoted to problems with Federal breakers but it
seemed to focus on double (220 volt circuit) breakers - and in
accordance with that I am eliminating a double breaker in our Federal
panel, by moving the load over to a breaker in the newer main panel
(General Electric). Have there been problems with single Federal breakers?

Regards,

Henry

i also say it cuz ive dealt with them for the last 15 years and know
that alot of them do not work