Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default about EXTENSION CORDS (safety)

wrote:

I posted awhile back about getting a dehumidifier for the apartment I
live in and discussed some of the pros and cons of that and the
possibility of getting an air conditioner.

Well, there is a small window in the bathroom that will accept a small
5000 BTU (1000w) air conditioning unit. I know this is very small but
my friend has a 5000 BTU unit which does a DECENT job of cooling his
studio apartment. It's not great, but better than nothing.

Problem is, on this 5000BTU Whirlpool unit I am thinking of putting in
the window. (it barely fits, but does fit.) ... there are all kinds of

warnings about NOT using an extension cord with this unit. They
mention about plugging it in within 4 feet of the unit etc....

Now, I know extension cords can have their issues, but do they make
extension cords that can handle the 1000 watt 13 amps that this unit
requires? Are they just erring on the side of safety by making the
blanket statement of NO EXTENSION CORDS! Kinda like a disclaimer sort
of thing.

Would I be able to SAFELY get and use an extension cord with this unit?

Something I could pick up at LOWES or HOME DEPOT.

Thanks

DAVID

There is nothing inherently unsafe about extension cords, after all they
are just wire and connectors little different from the fixed wiring in
your home.

The problem comes in with the abundance of poorly made light gauge
extension cords on the market. These do ok for occasional use with light
loads, but the cheap molded ends quickly loose contact pressure
resulting in higher contact resistance and heating, and the strain
reliefs fail in a few uses resulting in individual exposed conductors
and greater risk of damage. Of course there is also the fact that many
of these cords are light gauge wire and will cause excessive voltage
drop during the A/C startup which could cause the compressor to fail to
start and burnout.

An extension cord of the proper gauge wire and quality ends will be
safe, but it also won't be $4.99 either. The heavy 12ga extension cords
you can find at Depot or Lowe's in the shortest length that will reach
properly will do the job if they are installed and left in place. Most
of them still suffer from the low quality ends that will fail with
repeated use.

I make my own extension cords with quality 12/3 SJO cord (US made in
250' spools) and quality ends from Leviton or even better Hubble. Ends
up costing more than the pre made stuff but is much higher quality and
more reliable.

Pete C.