Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default 'Mini-Split' systems? ? ?

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 16:10:34 GMT, "mrsgator88"

"Ray" wrote in message
I live in an 82-year-old six-unit apartment building, and the heat comes

Are you in Chicago?

from a single furnace through steam radiators. Needless to say this
creates a problem of reaching an optimum temperature. Not only are there
wide variations in heat between apartments, but some like it hot, some
like it cold.

How many like it hot AND want the windows open?

It seems to me our best solution would be to establish a very low
temperature level for the main furnace -- like 60 degrees -- and then have
each unit provide their own supplementary heat to bring the it up to the
desired level.

I've been looking at these "mini-split" systems which provide both air
conditioning and heat.

Does that sound like a good solution?

I'd find a way to give each unit their own complete hvac and dump the
boiler.

Well, if you're going to re-do the whole system,
Burnham's duo-rad system looks good to me.
Centrally supplied hot(cold)-water, and fan-driven radiators
at point-of-use. If you're willing to use 4 pipes and
equip the end-user with a some valves
(does anyone make DPDT valves?) then one apartment
could be running the AC while the one next door
is running heat.