Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Polson Tony Polson is offline

Default Dowsing debate

Douglas de Lacey wrote:

Tony (if you bother to read this) doesn't that strike you as a
worthwhile thing to do?

I'm sorry, but it doesn't strike me as being worthwhile because I see
absolutely no need to satisfy the doubters - it really isn't worth
wasting my time on them. Whether people choose to believe in dowsing
or not is entirely their concern.

I am not trying to defend it, nor to promote it, just to point out
that it works well enough (for some people) to be quite widely
accepted in several major industries as a practical aid to finding
buried services. I started out as a sceptic. I'm still a sceptic!
But dowsing worked very well for me, and that is all I need to know.

I accept that it works well for some people, and less well (or not at
all) for others. But these numbers are probably small relative to the
number of armchair "experts" who pontificate at length about dowsing
yet have never tried it.

They will never be convinced, so why bother?

I would only be concerned if the idiots lobbied MPs to pass a law
prohibiting what is a safe, surprisingly useful and minimally invasive
technique for helping to find buried services.

If anyone ever discovers what makes it work, I suppose I would find it
of mild interest, but that is all. There is a whole world out there
with *myriads* of things that are *really* worth getting curious
about. In my humble opinion, dowsing is not one of them.