Chris

Default Joining co-axial cable outdoors

In article 0, mike
ring writes
Chris ] wrote in ]:

Joining co-axial cable outdoors - what's the best way to do it?
I've got an aerial cable running along the outside of the house wall
and I want to splice in an extra length.
Would soldering be best?
And how would it be done neatly?

I agree with Peter, unless, there are compelling reasons against, replace
the whole lead with quality coax -it's the second most important bit of
your telly - the aerial is the first. You will lose about half the signal
in two joints to fit plugs, needed to introduce a coupler.
Having said that, I would try neatly soldering it, keeping the shape as
much as possible, as I think it would be lees worse than 2 joints + a
coupler.
I would do it in a small diecast box, waterproofed by all available means,
grommets, etc.

One thing that may help - it's a radio FM aerial - not a telly.
I can' t easily get to the aerial to replace the whole wire - it's very
high - and I'm frightened of high ladder work.
Haven't heard of "self-amalgamating tape", which sounds interesting.
--
Chris