Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default A bit of ingenuity on my part...

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
Ian Stirling wrote:
Cicero wrote:
snip
I've been using mine for years without mishap and although the speed
is very low compared with a conventional router good results can be
achieved if you take your time.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that your drill press is considerably
more rigid than most.

How do you mean*more rigid* the one i bought from Aldi is heavy as the

bulk
of it is made from steel&cast metal and is bolted to the melamine worktop.
granted the speed is nowhere near perfect for use in routing but it does

do
some aspects of profiling with care.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

===========================
Basically it means just that there should be no flex in the pillar itself
or any free play between the pillar and the base or head. Remember that some
larger floor-standing drills are nearly 6 ' tall and any flex in the column
would make accurate work impossible.

If you're using a fairly cheap drill as an overhead router then the most
likely point of failure is whatever fixing is used to hold the head to the
column - probably just a small grub screw. This isn't likely to cause
problems when used as intended as a drill but the side forces caused by use
as an overhead router might cause the head to turn on the column. Just make
sure it's well tightened.

I would suggest that 'melamine' isn't really strong enough for any drill
press. Mine is fitted to a 6' x 2' bench with 2" solid wood top.

Cic.

----
It has removed 128 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!