Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower,sci.engr.heat-vent-ac
CJT CJT is offline

Default US R-values of radiant barriers

News wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

News wrote:

snip

I always thought the shiny side reflects, so needs to be facing where
heat needs to be reflected back and there needs to be a 1" gap
between that and any other surface. Having it under floors facing
down should not be effective. Yet I have read that some makers say it
does not matter which way it goes, I find that hard to believe.

Then you need to develop an understanding of emmissivity.

I'm sure Nick will elaborate on the wheres and whys of which way it
faces for optimum performance - which is now the latest confused point
on barriers.

There should be no confusion.