Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower,sci.engr.heat-vent-ac
CJT CJT is offline

Default US R-values of radiant barriers

News wrote:

snip
I always thought the shiny side reflects, so needs to be facing where
heat needs to be reflected back and there needs to be a 1" gap between
that and any other surface. Having it under floors facing down should
not be effective. Yet I have read that some makers say it does not
matter which way it goes, I find that hard to believe.

Then you need to develop an understanding of emmissivity.