Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default 5 year old roof needs replaced again

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 08:49:18 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 01:37:05 -0500, JimL wrote:

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 01:29:45 GMT, George
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 21:20:18 -0500, JimL wrote:

I'd either go with a completelyh new metal roof system - very
expenive but will last 50 years plus and look fabulous,.

Is that true? I was told by a usually trustworthy person that the
fasteners are supposed to be 'serviced' every 12 years, IIRC.

Riduculous. Absolutely not true. You shouldn't let anyone on your
roof for 50 years. Really.

Depends on what you're using for a metal roofing system,
and what you mean by "serviced".

My roof is regular asphalt shingles. My family has always done our own
roofs, and I find them interesting. Lately, I've been seeing more of
what I'd call 'formed metal' roofing (mostly blue, if that helps). So,
I asked someone about them.

As best I recall, he said there were two types. One has the fasteners
are exponsed, but driven through a a rubber washer to seal them. The
other has blind fasteners - I assume under the interlock of the metal
pieces. I think he said that the first kind has very poor durability,
and even for the second kind, the specs called for something to be done
to it (my memory fails me here) about every 12 yrs.