Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] maradcliff@UNLISTED.com is offline

Default Severe Hot Weather & Pets

This is off topic, but we are all experiencing this severe heat spell,
and many of us have pets.

Today we are finally getting over the heat spell, after almost a week
of it. (Thank God).

Yesterday, one of my outdoor cats looked miserable and I was even
thinking he was sick. He is one of 8 outdoor barn cats, and he is the
one with the long hair. I gave him some hairball paste just to be
safe, and then I hosed him off about 6 times during the worst part of
the day. He was not too happy about the hosing, but it seemed to make
him feel better, and in some ways, I almost think he liked it (as much
as a cat will tolerate water). He never tried to claw me, just tried
to run away.

He looks much better today, but I just noticed that he now has short
hair. Apparently he shed out all his long hair during the heat spell,
and most of it came out in one day (yesterday, which was the hottest
day of all). He dont even look like the same cat. In fact I had to
take a second look, because I almost thought he was a stray when I
first saw him this morning.

It truely amazes me how animals can adapt to weather conditions and in
such short time. In many ways it seems they do better than most of us
people.

My horses on the other hand all looked miserable. I spent much of my
time hosing them down, and they were drinking water almost as fast as
I could fill their tanks. Even those that normally hate being hosed,
soon adapted, and even enjoyed it. One pony that always has very long
hair was the worst, and although I hated to do it, I shaved her. She
looks rather odd now, but she feels much better.

Please, if you have pets or livestock, THEY NEED SPECIAL CARE IN THIS
WEATHER. Yes, they do adapt (like the cat), but YOU need to help them
too. Provide as much water as they will drink, keep them where they
have shade, never leave them in a car or tightly sealed shed, and hose
them if necessary. They might not appreciate the hose, but their life
is in danger, and they will thank you in the end. One other thing. If
you own horses, DO NOT RIDE THEM during this heat.

One other thing. Hearing the news about multiple power outages
throughout the country, I filled with water every pail and tank I
could find. No power means no water when I have a well. I wanted to
have as much on hand as I could. I even filled the bathtub with cold
water.

Mark