Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Driveway drainage Idea?

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message
oups.com...

I haven't measured the drive but it's probably around 80 ft long. The
problem I have is at the end of the drive, it levels out. So all the water
I'm getting is coming from the drive itself. It levels out a bit as it
enters the garage. I suppose I could try to re-grade it and I'll look into
that. I'm worried I'd have a "speed bump" in the middle of the driveway
though. Your suggestion of concrete diversion dams sounds intriguing but
again, I'd be worried about them being speed bumps or I may be
misunderstanding your suggestion.

That's essentially the situation I had in TN. All you need is to have
the point roughly 5-6ft in front of the garage slab 2" or so lower than
the slab. That will be enough of a barrier the water won't run into
the garage and with just a slight slope to the side as well it will
simply run off rather than pool.

It doesn't need to be a sharp drop or even very large so there really
is no need to have a severe grade change, hence no bump.

The diversion dam I envision would be at the height of the gravel
surface and would utilize the porosity of the gravel surface rather
than creating a dam above the surface. If the surface is packed
extremely tightly that might not work, but I inferred it was relatively
decent-sized stone. The only issue I would see might be the gravel
might gradually want to move downhill so you might occasionally have to
grade it back out, but in that case it would seem to be an issue w/ the
more extensive system as well...

I really can't envision a reason there couldn't be sufficient room to
make a catch trough that would essentially eliminate the problem...