Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Update: Honda EU200i Generator Question

"Rather Play Pinball" wrote in message
.. .

Talked to a tech at Honda in Georgia. They were very polite. They were
also very firm. On this model, you can NOT bond neutral and ground. Why
the hell they can't say that in their manual or marketing fluff is beyond
me.

No wonder these things end up like-new on Ebay...

Well, that's just not true. I use it on my transfer switch (and before that
backfed... oops). Since the neutral and ground are bonded at the breaker
box, it is exactly the same as bonding them at the generator.
I think what they mean is that the internal ground is not attached to
anything and/or that there is no internal provision for bonding the ground
like some generators have. If you attach it to a real ground (water
pipe...) and then attach the neutral to that it would be a bonded ground.

The EU2000 is kinda funny, in that the voltages off the hot and neutral are
pretty random until you ground the neutral. That forces the hot to 120v and
the neutral to 0v. Maybe that is why you are having a problem.

OTOH, I am not a generator expert. It seems clear, but maybe I am
overlooking something. Comments?