Posted to alt.home.repair
saag saag is offline

Default Under sink water filter install ques

I was looking at a GE under the sink double filter kit that got a good
rec from Consumer Reports. The filters just twist off.
You replace both the filter and the housing. The replacement costs
didn't seem out of line with diff models.
Putting in a second faucet for it is no big deal right now as were
gettign a new countertop and they'll cut the hole for it. It will only
be used for drinking water which will extend the filter life.

Personally I've somehow lasted all these years drinking city tap water,
but the mrs wants it and after all the costs of a new kitchen I can't
see making a stand on this issue.
At least I won't have to buy all those cases of bottled water anymore.

RJ wrote:
On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 02:40:41 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

Another consideratin is to put the filter in the basement if you have one
under the kitchen. Easier to get to compared to changing inside a sink
cabinet.

I second that suggestion !

We had an under-sink filter.
Changing the element was a messy job.
ie;
roll around on the floor,
remove "stuff" from under the sink,
, rassle the screw-on filter housing,
mop up all the spilled water, ....

Even though it's a "once-every-6-month" job,
I would put it somewhere more accessible next time.

rj