Newbie_Neil

Default How do I wire a double socket?

Hi Big Wallop

Thank you for replying. Sorry, but I still have my concern about the
two earth connectors on the face plate.

If you're using metal clad boxes and front plates, then you will need some
green/yellow 2.5 mm insulated cable and some green/yellow over sleeve to
slip over the bare copper cores in the PVC's. The 2.5 mm green/yellow cable
lets you connect to the socket plate from the back box. This makes the
installation of the boxes and sockets a little easier for you to do.

Yes, happy with this.

After you've fixed your boxes and run the cables between them, you can then
wrap the two bare copper cores together and slip some green/yellow sleeve on
to them and insert both into the earthing terminal of the back box (don't
tighten them up yet).

Yes, happy with this.

Next you'll need to cut a length of the 2.5 mm
green/yellow cable so you can connect from the back box to the socket plate
itself. This method of connecting them all together makes sure that even if
you have to remove a socket plate, you'll always have an earth connecting
core to keep you a bit safer.

This is what I don't understand. I have TWO earth connectors on the
face plate, let's call them left and right. Do I need to run a length
of the 2.5 mm green/yellow cable from the back box to the left earth
on the socket plate and then run another length of the 2.5 mm
green/yellow cable from the back box to the right earth on the socket
plate?

I would also recommend that if you're using any tools in the garage, make
sure you've connected them into and RCD device, just to make sure that if a
fault occurs in the flex or on the body of the tool, you'll have a local
point to break the circuit as quickly as possible.

Thanks, I searched on Screwfix.com and saw this IP66 RCD DP 2X13A SKT+
40A 30MA
Is this what I want?

Good luck with it and take your time. Please don't take any chances with
electricity.

Thanks again for your advice and don't worry, I won't take any
chances.

Cheers
Neil