Posted to sci.electronics.repair
virtual~bob virtual~bob is offline

Default Zenith TV Mute Won't Disengage (Updated)

After repeatedly unplugging the TV set for a while and plugging it back
in, the audio has come back on at a decent level--but only some of the
time, with the mute re-engaged one of the next times I turn the set on.

Also, touching the volume control buttons either on the TV set or on the
remote cuts off the audio and re-engages the mute, requiring another
sequence of unplugging and replugging the TV into the electric socket.

If anything, I have established that there is nothing wrong with the
speakers on my TV.

Therefore, I am left with asking once again if anyone knows of a
sequence of pressing buttons or entering codes which might disengage the
mute and allow me to use the volume control buttons again.

Obviously, there is also the possibility that the original disruption of
electricity damaged the TV, permanently causing this effect, and I'll
accept that if I have to.

But, having gotten the audio back from previously having complete
silence, it would be nice to know that I didn't leave any remedy
untried.

Thanks for your ideas.

Bob