Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default A bit of ingenuity on my part...

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
If you dont have a router table,but have a drill ress then use that as

router table ;-)

Just make a wooden platform(bolt/clamp to DP base) with adjustable

guides
for wood to be slid along and pass through cutter.

One thought would be are the chuck bearings designed for side thrust?

No, they almost certainly are not.
Also, the RPM is very slow, which means that more will be taken off each
bite, and rigidity is even more important - which the drill press will
not have. This will cause very high stresses in the cutter, and may
cause bits to fly off.
Not to mention that the side forces may well cause the chuck attachment
to actually fall out - as these are usually morse tapers.

========================
I've been using mine for years without mishap and although the speed is very
low compared with a conventional router good results can be achieved if you
take your time.

It won't work very well with the more complex bits (router bits) but for
routine work it's pretty good. I made a beautiful set of kitchen cupboard
cappings and footings (friezes??) a few weeks ago and only a light sanding
was needed before varnishing.

My table is a piece of Contiboard, 9" wide X 36" long. It's fixed to the
drill table with countersunk screws with nuts and washers underneath. I use
various bits of offcut timber to make expendable fences to suit different
jobs and occasionally for fine adjustment I use a bottle jack under the
table to raise it by small amounts.

Cic.

----
It has removed 128 spam emails to date.