Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default For whom the lathes turn. Musing about selling wood turnings.

On 1 Aug 2006 06:20:59 -0700, "Brad" wrote:

Interesting point Arch, but I have not seen the same interest from
other turners. I make mainly pens and small turnings. I have only sold
two items to turners. The first turner used to turn pens years ago. I
think he was mainly interested in how the craft had changed since he
used to do it. The second was to a turner who mainly did furniture and
did not feel confident enough to turn a pen.
Most of my sales are to those who appreciate the beauty of wood,
sometimes wood workers (non-turners) or most often those who look and
are amazed.
I am finding that wood, especially exotic wood has gotten so
expensive and rare that many young people are seeing these exotic woods
for the first time when I show them my work. When I tell them a little
about exotic woods, the turned items gain value in their eyes.
I usually don't sell my work, I simply show people what I am doing
and many ask to buy an item that attracts them. That is one of the
things I love about wood turning, it is unusal enough that people look
at me in amazement when I explain that I made that pen.
I only do turnings part time, so turning is still fun, and I hope it
stays that way.
Brad
HardingPens.com

I have to jump in here, since Robohippy didn't...

My wife and I met Robo when he was down in our area doing a show and one of the
things that he was selling were kitchen brushes for about $20 each...
A guy was looking at them and we talked a bit.. he was a furniture refinisher
that was a hobby turner... He offered to buy a brush if Robo would tell him how
he attached the bristles to the handle... He got a brush and the info and Robo
got a sale.. a win-win situation!
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis