Dave Gibson

Default Garage Lighting

"PoP" wrote in message
I'm just doing up my garage/workshop and would appreciate advice on
what sort of lighting to put up. It's a double-width garage, one
smallish window on one side. During daylight that's sufficient but
with the evenings drawing in I'm going to be relying on candlepower
more and more.

I currently have a 100w bulb centrally, and one 40w flourescent either
side. That's sufficient for me to find my way around, but for workshop
purposes I'm wondering about how to improve the lighting so as to be
able to work comfortably.

Have thought about putting a 100w bulb in each corner (as well as the
central bulb), but that adds up to 500w of power consumption - quite a
lot relatively speaking. Perhaps someone has used other types of light
source which they could recommend.

PoP

Fluorescent tubes with reflectors are the best sources of light for a
workshop IMHO.

Perhaps more importantly, if your garage is brick built, it is well worth
emulsioning the walls/ceiling with brilliant white paint. Just doing this
will make an unbelievable difference to the level as well as the quality of
light available, as the reflected light will reduce and diffuse shadows.

It is also worth sealing the floor (if plain concrete) with a floor paint.

Dave