ATP

Default diesel for home heating boiler

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 15:55:35 GMT, "ATP"
brought forth from the murky depths:

habbi wrote:
In an emergency could you put kerosene or diesel in your home oil
heating tank? Would it cause any damage?

Diesel is essentially #2 fuel oil, dyed to foil tax evaders.
Kerosene is lighter than #2, but fine for short periods. Neither
will do any damage, I hate to say I've done it more than a few times
when we missed a delivery.

Aren't there 2 different types of diesel? I can smell the
difference in trucks when I follow. Some smell clean and
nice, more like jet fuel. Others smell like a candle wick
which has just been snuffed out, very bad and wax-based.

There's no choice at the pump that I've seen, although there are different
additives in the winter to retard gelling. Barring the use of biodiesel,
which reportedly smells like french fries, the difference is probably in the
truck powerplants. NY is now doing opacity tests on heavy vehicle
inspections, although I think very old vehicles are exempt.