Posted to uk.d-i-y
HLAH HLAH is offline

Default Standard or "Superduty" hot water cylinder?

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
TheScullster wrote:

"HLAH" wrote
.

You should consider a combi first. They make some fabulous models
now.

I'm sure there are but I still don't want one :-)

Having paid particular attention to boiler posts over recent months, the
problems encountered seem to relate to the complexity of control and
electronics in the modern condensing units, rather than whether they
include the hot water generating "combi" element.

Depends also on what flow you want. It's easy to get high flow in the
average house from a storage system to fill say a bath quickly - until of
course that store runs out. But that's why storage cylinders are the size
they are. And a fast recovery type will re-heat in the time it takes for a
leisurely bath.
No domestic combi will match this flow at the same temperature, and those
which get closest ain't cheap. There's also the problem that in many parts
of the country water pressure is low in an attempt to combat mains leaks.
This can reduce the potential of any combi system even further.
See the heating FAQ - it gives chapter and verse.

--

These are exactly the reasons why I don't want a combi. Everyone I know who
has been sold one on the basis of the benefits has been dissapointed. Mainly

The mains pressure here is around 1 Bar and I suspect sometimes less when
it's been dry for a while and everyone is watering their gardens. Not being
able to have a power shower without difficulty is not acceptable as far as I
am concerned.

Also I neglected to mention we are planning a solar installation so a big
storage cylinder seems like a very good idea to improve the efficiency and
reduce the payback time.