Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Moran Al Moran is offline

Default A/C not starting - Another Update - Thanks for the good advice !!!

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 22:56:03 -0400, Peter wrote:

To CJT, Jeff, Speedy Jim, mm, Storming Mormon

Progress !!! Still not 100% fixed but progress....

You guys are great... mentioned that the Neutral was probably open... Hmmmm.... I
decided to check out the disconnect box which is separate from the inhouse power
distribution panel.. Our AC disconnect boxes are wall mounted on the outside wall
of the condo house. The maintenance people said "just open the one that belongs
to your unit". So I did, pulled the disconnect (the old fuse panel pull out
type)....and GUESS WHAT !!! I still had power to my AC unit. Tried working over
the phone with maintenance people who said..."look if the disconnect didn't work, you
must be getting power from someplace else and we can't help you". I said...this AC is
pulling 30 amps so where is it coming from...not a wall receptacle I hope.

Anyway...it seems that several of the boxes all had incorrect condo unit numbers stenciled
on them. Building maintenance finally came down (they didn't want to, talk about
attitude problems) and we finally located the proper disconnect box. Two fuses in
the box...one was blown open, the other was good..... So to all.... your diagnosis of
an open wire (neutral) was 100% ACCURATE !!!..... Good Work !!!

Replaced the fuse....system started up... At that time BGE Home finally pulled into
the parking lot (8 days late) so they checked out the system.

Compressor was running hot. Head pressure was high, 375 versus expected of 350.
Suction was low about 55 instead of 65. and they found a slight leak at a connection
point, although freon level was adequate.

They said head pressure was high because the coil needed to be cleaned out.

So they said, we'll clean out your coil and replace the leaky connection.... Flare
nut to metering valve. It will cost you between 650 to 850 dollars. We suggest that
you purchase a new system, instead of putting that money into the old one.

How does one clean out the coils ??? I'd like to try that to see if it makes a
difference...before blindly going ahead and replacing the unit for $5000.00.

Your thoughts ???

Peter

You need to have a competent tech look at it. The pressures you gave
are wrong, wrong, wrong! If clogged condenser was causing high
pressure then both numbers would be high. with the pressures you
describe, something else is going on. They suggest, among other
things, clogged condenser AND evaporator coils, clogged filter,
possible overcharge of refrigerant... You really need to have a
competent tech look at it because whoever showed up was not either.