Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Water Hammer Arrestors.

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 00:47:23 -0400, Tom The Great
wrote:

I was flipping channels and found the show "Ed The Plumber", the topic
was water hammer. In the last few minutes of the show it showed him
installing water hammer arrestors on the hot and cold water washing
machine inlets. They looked like small blue globes.

I have a mild water hammer problem, and figure that I would shoot for
the simplest solution.

http://www.urlbee.com?7537 (the last photo in article).

They look like they have a greater volume than the smaller ones I've
seen. Anyone know where I can get these water hammer arrestors?

I don't know about those...I haven't looked at the picture, but I
bought a couple at HD or Lowes or most likely Hechingers. They
weren't more than 4 dollars 10 or 15 years ago, and were as long as my
middle finger and as thick as my thumb, and they worked fine.

I put them on the back of my washing machine, because they had garden
hose connections and it unnerved me to put them on the washing machine
faucets, even though with the diaphragm inside each one, they would
work sideways or even upside down until the diaphragms broke. But I
didn't like them pointing sideways. On the washing machine they point
up, so they'll work for a while even after the diaphragms break.

Thank you,

tom