Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin John Grossbohlin is offline

Default Circular Saw Burning/Smoking Problem

"jmyszka" wrote in message
oups.com...
I wouldn't think the teeth need sharpening, both the blade and saw are
brand new, right out of the box. Maybe its just a crappy saw?

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
wrote:
Hello all,

As an intermediate woodworker/DIY'r, I am surprised to be having
trouble with my new circular saw. I am attempting to cut through 1''
stair noses, but my brand new Skill 7 1/4'' saw can barely cut through
the wood and smokes excessivly. I finally used a jig saw to finish
the cut and noticed that the wood was black from burning.

Is it a carbide blade? Some of the Skil saws come with a steel blade...
which dull almost instantly on things like oak!

Alternatively, it is possible you are twisting the saw as you push it
through? Sometimes manually retracting the blade guide takes the stress off
and you can push it through straighter.

John