Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower,sci.engr.heat-vent-ac
daestrom daestrom is offline

Default US R-values of radiant barriers

"Jeff" wrote in message
k.net...
wrote:

snip

From The Passive Solar Energy Handbook, Edward Mazria 1979 we have this in
Appendix E.6 Resistance values of airspaces

Horizontal, Heatflow Down
NR=Non Reflective

Thickness | Season | NR/NR | NR/Aluminum Coated | NR/Foil
3/4 W 1.02 2.39 3.55
1 1/2 W 1.14 3.21 5.74
4 W 1.23 4.02 8.94
3/4 S 0.84 2.08 3.25
1 1/2 S 0.93 2.76 5.24
4 S 0.99 3.38 8.03

Obviously that's all from observations.

What strikes me for my application at hand, insulating under staple up
radiant, is that 8.94 for a single radiant barrier. It sure makes foil
double bubble look good.

One thing though about radiant barriers. It's well settled that the upper
surface of horizontal installations will not retain its low emissivity.
Unless you fancy wiping and cleaning off the dust every year or so, it will
accumulate and lose its effectiveness.

In attics, it's advised to put the radiant barrier on the rafters overhead
so the radiant surface is on the underside. For underfloor installations,
the same thing. The foil goes on the underside to limit the accumulation of
dust that will ruin its effectiveness.

daestrom