Owain

Default BT socket with older style wiring?

"Mark S." wrote
| I've got BT coming Monday to connect my phone line but it's dangling
| on the wall due to the previous tennants/owners either smashing it or
| stealing it.
| The wiring looks to be some older type, black outer with three yellow
| wires, green, orange and I think black maybe.
| Is it possible to get a master socket anywhere on a Sunday and where
| do I find out how to wire it up with the old wires.
| Failing that would they just look at the wire and condem it and rewire
| it back to the pole considering I want ADSL installing and it looks
| like it would fail the noise test anyway.

If you ask the engineer really nicely (and he's got one on the van) he might
give you an ADSL Linebox which has a built-in splitter for the broadband and
phone signals. Even if he doesn't, a Linebox is better than a master socket
because (a) it's easier to wire your extensions to, and unplug them for
testing, and (b) you can unplug the front of it and replace it with an ADSL
one with a built-in splitter like the first two items at

http://www.clarity.it/acatalog/ADSL_Installation.html

It is BT's responsibility to fix the linebox so let them do it. If they
later found you had an unauthorised (non-BT) master socket and there is a
fault they can charge you a 'regularisation' fee.

Owain