Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default preventing sink scum

On 31 Jul 2006 15:34:48 GMT, (Lacustral)
wrote:

I used to live in a place with a porcelain sink, it almost never had to
be cleaned.

but in the places I've lived since, with plastic sinks, the scum builds up
really fast.

Why? my guesses:

Maybe it's a difference in the water? hard water causes more scum?

possibly, porcelain is smoother microscopically, and the soap/oil sheds
off it?

possibly, difference in how fast the sinks drain?

anybody have experience with porcelain sinks, are they better this way?

Laura

Porcelain is much easier to keep clean and harbors less bacteria--it
stays smoother and dries faster. Gritty cleansers will scratch
plastic composite and porcelain bathroom fixtures, and these scratches
create places where dirt and bacteria live.