Posted to sci.electronics.repair
HarryHydro HarryHydro is offline

Default Cheaper parts for camcorders

Hi Folks:
I was given a JVC GR-SXM320V to 'look at'. I was told it was dropped
a few times and when it failed, the tape got stuck inside. They bought
it to a repair shop, who was able to extract the tape, but didn't fix
the camera. That's how I came upon it. The transport mechanics didn't
move. The screen came up with ERROR 02 or something, and "REMOVE AND
REPLACE THE BATTERY". After poking around with it for a while, seeing
very little voltage on the transport motor, I traced the transport
motor circuitry back to a BA6866KV chip by ROHM. I hunted the internet
for this chip. I got suggestions to try JVC, which didn't help. I found
a repair shop in my area that could get the chip. $68 and change!!!!
Well, I went for broke, took the chance, bought the chip which they got
in a couple of days! I put that in with my pencil iron and stereo
microscope (fun if you know how big this chip is), and now it's
working! Whew. I added a resistor in series with the motor in case it
binds. The owner is happy, but, was it worth $68? Where do youi
suppose they found this chip? I think they added $50 bucks to it. What
a ripoff. This is the first mini-camcorder I worked on but the first
component I had to buy for one. I'll fix no more if parts are going to
be this out-of-site.
Take Care!
Harry