Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Mohnike J. Mohnike is offline

Default Embossing Wood Idea

RETHINK THE WOOD. MY EXPERIENCE WITH REDWOOD AND MOISTURE IS THE REDWOOD
WILL TURN BLACK, ESPECIALL IF YOU HAVE WATER THAT IS HARD OR ALOT OF MINERAL
CONTENT.

YOU COULD TRY (DON'T KNOW IF IT WILL WORK) APPLYING FIBER GLASS RESIN
WITHOUT THE CLOTH.

GOOD LUCK
WOODWORM
"charlie b" wrote in message
I'm doing some bonsai display tables out of redwood. Very
pretty wood, easy to work, light weight but - SOFT! You
can accidently crush the grain with your fingernail.

Now I recall seeing Frank Klausz make a water box for
japanese water stones. He used pine. He take a piece of
wire, maybe 1/16th inch diameter, set it on the centerline
of the bottom of each of the side parts and tap it down
into the wood. He then lightly planed that edge. When
the sides were tacked to the bottom board and water
was added into the box, the crushed grain would swell
back to its original size. Since a little of the adjacent
wood had been planed off, when it swelled up it acted line
an "O ring" seal.

So I'm thinking "If I draw a design in the face of one of
these pieces of redwood - say with something like a
large ball point pen (I've got jeweler's doming tools
- a steel shaft with a ball on the end ) - and I press
hard enough - AND keep the pressure consistent
THEN run the board through the planer for a very light
cut I SHOULD get a raised design as the wood absorbs
moisture from the air (or if I spritz it with water).

Anyone done this sort of thing or am I way outside the
box - again?

charlie b