Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry Peter Parry is offline

Default Removing possible bitumen paint on exterior wall

On 31 Jul 2006 10:00:43 -0700, "bp" wrote:

Yes there is double glazing. I did think that there was a ventilation
problem. The previous owner has fittied a vent (air brick) at the
front room. It is high up - near the celing.

The pattern you are describing of mould on corners and upstairs is
very suggestive of condensation. I'd be inclined to concentrate on
proper heating, ventilation and possibly insulation of walls where
they are enclosed (within built in wardrobes etc) before trying to
remove the paint on the outside.

Also before going foe expensive solutions look at the simple standard
things of clearing all rubbish and plants away from the outside wall
and creating a gravel French Ditch around the sides.

About the removal of the paint, could I sandblast it off? Or is paint
stripper the best option.

If it gets to that look at employing a commercial sandblasting
company - with domestic equipment it will take you ages and is
unlikely to work well. I'd try the simpler bits for a year first.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/