Posted to uk.d-i-y
bp bp is offline

Default Removing possible bitumen paint on exterior wall

HI,

Thanks for the replies.

Yes there is double glazing. I did think that there was a ventilation
problem. The previous owner has fittied a vent (air brick) at the
front room. It is high up - near the celing.

Also I checked the air bricks. Most were blocked. I have cleared
them. There are 2 along the black wall (i.e. along the alleyway).
However since the floor level is higher then the air bricks, someone
has created an opening to allow the air to flow. There was alot of
dirt etc in there which was blocking them. I have opened them now, bt
I guess I will have t wait and see if things get any worse. If not I
guess blocked vents were to blame.

About the removal of the paint, could I sandblast it off? Or is paint
stripper the best option.

Thanks

Peter Parry wrote:

On 28 Jul 2006 08:44:05 -0700, "bp" wrote:

Is he right in saying that it may be causing problems. Could it be
causing the damp I am getting on the ground floor (ie on the internal
walls I see bubbling of the plaster, loose bits flaking off and small
bits of black mould in the corners. I also have some mould appearing
in one of the bedrooms upstairs on the inside of the same wall)

Has the house been fitted with new windows (double glazing)?

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/