M.Joshi M.Joshi is offline
Senior Member

Arrow

Update:

I made up a two leads; one that had the shield conencted to pin 3 at the RCA end and another without the shield connected at the RCA.

On two separate occasions, the lead that did not have the shield conencted at the RCA end caused hum & interference on the camera audio.

I wonder why the Van Den Hul website recommends that it is better to leave the shield unconnected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Joshi
Dave,

The conenction diagram for an un-balanced RCA-XLR lead on the Van Den Hul website recommends connecting Pin 2 from the XLR to the signal pin on the RCA and Pin 3 to ground on the RCA:

http://www.vandenhul.nl/artpap/wiring5.htm

The shield is only connected on the input (XLR) side.

They recommend that you only connect the shield (Pin 1 on the XLR) to the RCA ground if there are hum problems?