Posted to alt.home.repair
CJ CJ is offline

Default Water leaks from underneath bath tub when tub spout is connected

Thanks to all the input. It turns out it was a worn rubber gasket
where the stopper plate is screwed up against. The water backsplash
was getting behind the stopper plate and the worn rubber gasket was
allowing water thru.

wrote:
OK, good explanation..... I think you explained the problem.
I bet you got a bad seal at the diverter handle and it's running back
thru the trim around the handle. I have seen that once. Assuming
there is a shower head, there could also be a leak in the shower
supply pipe and the spout is causing enough back pressure to cause
either the shower supply pipe or the diverter to leak. I'd suspect
the diverter first. You might just replace the parts in the diverter.
(I assume you have a separate handle type). There is most likely a
washer of some type and an O-ring or packing around the stem. That
O-ring or packing is likely bad. It's worth the couple bucks to
replace those parts and see if that does it. Those parts tend to
degrade faster than the faucet ones from being dry most of the time.

Mark

On 27 Jul 2006 12:40:17 -0700, "CJ" wrote:

I had bought a new spout and applied teflon tape on the pipe threads,
and when I installed the spout, it gave the same result as the old
spout. One question I have is could the diverter be taking the
back-pressure when the water pressure is high and only going through
the spout? I did notice water dripping from the diverter handle when
the water pressure was high and only going through the spout.

wrote:
I agree about the possible leak, but also check to be sure the spout
itself is not leaking. Many spouts have an adjustable sleeve in them
to adjust for wall thickness and pipe stub length. That sleeve might
be leaking, or maybe you just need some teflon tape on the stub pipe
threads.

I'd try the teflon tape and inspect the spout, and it's sleeve.
If it still leaks, obtain another spout and test that one. If you
still got a leak, you probably got a pipe leak. Another thing you
might try is to put a cap on the end of the pipe and turn on the
water. Then listen for leaking water. If it drips, you got a leak.
If not, the spout itself is bad.

If you are lucky, the rear of the tub wall is a closet, where you can
make an access panel. Make it permanent. A 16" square of 1/4"
plywood and 4 screws are all you need. I never understood why people
put a permanent wall behind tub plumbing. Sooner or later, there will
be a need to get to that piping.

Mark

-----------------------

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:31:55 -0500, "Darrell Dorsey"
wrote:

Sounds like you may have a leak in the spout piping. When you install the
spout there is then enough backpressure to force the water out the leaking
spot. Without the spout, then isn't enough backpressure to force the leak.

Do you have any access to the back side of the tub. Like in a closet or
something. You would need to cut an opening. If its in a closet, you can
just make a nice panel to cover the cut out.

Darrell

"CJ" wrote in message
roups.com...
If I connect the tub spout to the copper piping and run the water
completely thru the spout; water drips to the underneath ceiling. If I
disconnect the tub spout so only the copper piping shows, and then run
the water completely thru the spout; no water drips from underneath.

Does anyone know what this could be?