Posted to alt.home.repair
JimL JimL is offline

Default Washing machine basket rust - possible to fix, or buy new basket?

On 30 Jul 2006 11:46:48 -0700, "bryanska"
wrote:

My kenmore washer is rusty too.
I use an expensive spray can of white epoxy enamel paint on it after
sanding and wirebrushing the rust spots down to bare metal. Several
coats per instructions on the can.

It lasts about 3 years and then I do it again.

Thanks, if it comes down to paying for a new basket, I'll try this
first.

Any recommendations on brands, etc of paint?

Also, how can you tell it's wearing out?

I depend on the store guy to tell me the best brand. But avoid the
bargain brand 99cent stuff.

Rust will start to appear at either your paint job or in new places.
Bleach products will make stainless steel rust, so you bank on it that
it's gonna happen again. Plan for it. That means plan on replacing
your washer.

I agree with removing clothes as soon as the buzzer goes off, which
will guarantee no rust stains

Also leave the lid up and let it dry out between wash days and also
wipe it down with an old towel before adding clothes to wash.

..