Posted to alt.home.repair
marson marson is offline

Default Should I add builder's felt when replacing clapboards on old house?

if the rest of your house doesn't have building paper, then it probably
doesn't make much sense to add it in spots.

blueman wrote:
I need to replace a couple of damaged clapboards on a 100+ year old
house.

The (original) sheathing is 1-by-X without any apparant builders felt
(or maybe it has just decayed over the years).

When replacing isolated clapboards (either single ones or at most 3-4
in a vertical row), should I add some type of vapor/weather barrier
behind the replacement clapboards?

If so, what would you use and how would you apply it?

Thanks