ATP

Default How do tell a liquid from a solid?

Tom Quackenbush wrote:
ATP wrote:

Tom Quackenbush wrote:

snip

Ok, I've got nothing better to do tonight and how can hard this
be? I've got the ingredients - various lead solders, toaster oven,
decent thermometer.

I hope this is not the toaster oven you heat up snacks in. You will
probably end up with significant lead contamination.

Better safe than sorry, I'm sure, but how would the lead
contaminate the toaster oven? I was barely able to melt the stuff, let
alone boil it. Are there lead compounds involved that may have
vaporized? Does metallic lead sublimate or evaporate at temperatures
this low (under 400 degrees F.)?

R,
Tom Q.

I'm not an industrial hygienist, or even a dental hygienist, but I can tell
you the thresholds are extremely low, for example 15 ppb in drinking water
IIRC, and lead rubs off very easily, so as you are handling the solder etc.,
some is getting on your toaster oven. May not do you that much harm, but
would not be good for your kids/grandkids.