Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cuprager Cuprager is offline

Default Decking - how to fit the posts

Vass wrote:
fee standing decking (i.e. not fixed to wall of house)
20 foot x 12 foot, blinking heavy it will be
I'm using 9" x 1.5" joists and I can hardly pick each one up as they are
currently 15 foot long
I propose to use 15 posts each 4"x 4" with 5 foot centres
the deck will be raised slightly approx 1 foot off the ground allowing space
under the joists as the gound is not level
So, question is, do I
1. sink the posts into concrete?
2. dig down to hard stuff, chuck in a breeze block and free stand them on
this (as per Tommy Ground Force)
or, is there another way (3)?
ta in advance

I have just completed a very large deck, however one face of this was
fastened to a house. The posts were dropped into holes roughly 2ft deep
and concreted in which produced a very solid fixing! There will be other
people with other ideas but this is what worked in my situation.

HTH

Gerry