Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Polson Tony Polson is offline

Default Dowsing debate

Douglas de Lacey wrote:
Geronimo W. Christ Esq wrote:

It's total hokum, and here's how you prove it.

Get a friend to bury ten pipes in a piece of ground, and then run water
through one of them, without telling you which one. Then try to use your
magick dowsing techniques to find out which one it is.

You've done this, have you? Please could you point us to some published
results?

From my limited experience of dowsing, I don't think having water in
one of the pipes would make a significant difference. Dowsing does
not seem to differentiate between buried services. The crossing of
the rods occurs in a similar way regardless of whether the buried
service is a water pipe, a drain, an empty cable duct, an electricity
cable or a telephone cable.

In my experience, dowsing provides only a location, and several such
locations help you to find a route. But you have to dig trial holes
to find out what the buried service is.

If you find a manhole, a valve pit or suchlike, you can use dowsing to
trace the route(s) of the service(s) from that location.