Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes Mike Barnes is offline

Default Magnifying desk lamp?

In uk.d-i-y, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 21:13:11 GMT, "Peter Andrews"
wrote:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=010812040 is similar.

Hi Peter,

That does look similar all be it a touch more expensive ... tho easier
for me to get to a MM than Maplins ;-)

I have one of those, and although the optics and lighting are good, it's
not without its drawbacks. :-(

(1) The spring balancing doesn't actually work very well. It's usually a
struggle to get the head assembly to stay put where I want it, and even
more of a struggle to get it to stay "parked" in the fully-folded
position when I've finished with it.

(2) The rectangular base sits rather loosely on the clamp assembly,
using a tapered pin located in a socket and held there by gravity alone.
The pin is rather too short for the sideways forces exerted on it. Over
time, especially with protracted attempts to get the springs to work as
they should, the pin works its way out of the socket and eventually the
whole thing just falls off. It's bloody heavy, and, because of all the
springs etc, hard to catch.

(3) The clamp is designed for a narrow but thick edge. Looking at the
"G", the height is 65 mm, but the width (from edge of clamp to centre of
screw) is only 15 mm. With the inevitable sloppiness of that long screw
in its short thread, I find it impossible to get a good purchase on my
20 mm softwood window-sill. The forces are considerable and you really
do need this lamp to be solidly fixed. Consider carefully what you're
going to fix it to.

Suffice it to say, although I own and have used the Clarke lamp for many
years, I'm going to order one of the cheap CPC models suggested
upthread, to see if it's any more usable.

Or how about one of these?

http://tinyurl.com/mmm65

:-)

--