Posted to uk.d-i-y
Anna Kettle Anna Kettle is offline

Default Sand:Cement:Lime mix

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 22:30:36 GMT, "VisionSet"
wrote:

"Roger" wrote in message
. uk...

AFAIK quantities for mixing mortar have traditionally always been by
volume. While the actual ratio is probably not critical shovelfulls are
a pretty inaccurate way of measuring volume. FWIW I usually use 3 gallon
black plastic work buckets as a way of measuring volumes both for mortar
and concrete.

Yep by volume, the real question is do you measure the lime before or after
you've puttied it? I assume before since how do you account for a varying
water content?

You dont need to putty the lime for a mortar of this ratio. The lime
is just being used as a plasticiser and all the setting is done by the
cement, so the amount of lime is not critical

Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642