Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter Peter is offline

Default Update: A/C won't start...missing low voltage

To Speedy Jim, Stormin Mormon, mm, Andy & Carol

Back to work on the A/C today... still wouldn't start.

I looked at the Low Voltage xformer.... pretty big sucker...... checked for ac in...was
able to measure 120 vac at each leg measured to ground. Strange, I thought that
by measuring across the two terminals, I would see 230 but I guess they are both
120volts but out of phase with each other...so there is no voltage differential. Anyway
measured 120 vac to ground.

The output of the transformer is listed at 24vac... no voltage at all on the output
measured between the legs and each leg to ground. Removed the load to the
output, again, no voltage measured.

Removed the transformer and ohmed it out. Primary was 25.6 ohms, secondary
was .8 ohms (less than one)... infinite resistance between secondary and primary.

I picked up a transformer from Radio Shack today.... 120 vac in with 25.2 vac out.
2 amp power capacity. I pigtailed it to an extention cord and spliced it
into the low voltage circuit. Turned the power on...... moving the thermostat controls,
I could hear the relay clicking inside the a/c but it wouldn't start up..... Is a 1amp
transformer adequate ?? The existing one is a little larger in size.

I ohmed out the good transformer from Radio Shack....12.8 ohms on the primary... .8
(less than one) on the secondary.... so it looks as the original transformer is
ohming out correctly at 230 volts input 25.6 ohms and 25.2 volts output at .8 ohms.

Is it possible to have a bad transformer, even with correct resistance measurements ??
I can think of internal shorting due to arcing across deteriorated oil paper and
insulation.

What do you think ???

Thanks in advaince for your help !!!

Peter