Posted to rec.woodworking
Hedley Hedley is offline

Default Hanging (residential) doors

You are welcome, CW.

The cynic in me says "what standard?" although I'm sure there is one.

I've lived in some places that may not have been so standard. And I should
clarify that I was replacing doors in an otherwise unmolested door frame. I
was putting in 6-panels to replace flat door to dress up the joint a little.
I'd lay the new door atop the old door and transfer the cut-out lines so as
to keep the door frame cut-outs matched up.

"CW" wrote in message
ink.net...
Thanks for the reply. Yes, copying the existing doors would be a way to go
but, there must be a standard. I look at it as, if I were starting from
scratch, do I know everything I need to know to do the job? In this case,
would have to say I don't.

"Hedley" wrote in message
. net...

I haven't done "hundreds", but I've done a few - all without a router. I
just made sure the hinges and (interior) doors were the same dimensions
as
the others in the house and used the other doors as a guide to get my
placement and spacing. A router and template would have been nice, but

all
I had was a limited budget, a hammer and a chisel. Worked out pretty

well.
Caulking and painting the doors helped mask my inefficiencies with the
chisel.

Now that I have a router, I'd probably do it the same way to keep from
having to buy the guide. Maybe. I'm always looking for a good reason to
buy more tools.

Hope this helps.

--Hedley
--Binge in Moderation