Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower
Gary Gary is offline

Default US R-values of radiant barriers

I am very sceptical of these barriers. What they need to do is have two
identical houses in the same place, one with the barrier and one with
rockwool. Then do data monitoring for a year or more. The British ASA
ruled against Actis, a French maker, as the tests were not good enough.
There is no testing model to explain. After all this time you would have
thought they could have done tests on an Actis Triso9 house and an
identical house without Actis with 200mm of insulation in the walls. If
there was a clear difference I'm sure they would be crowing from the
rooftops with all data printed and freely given out at every bus stop.

This stuff is not cheap. As far as I can see it is expensive bubble
wrap - until proper meaningful realistic independent tests have been
undertaken.

Hi,

The FSEC has done radiant barrier work -- here is one report:
http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/bldg/pubs/rbs/

If you go to their site and search on Radiant Barrier, a lot of stuff comes up.

I think that www.SouthFace.org has also done work on radiant barrier.

These are good and independant outfits -- I would tend to belive what they
publish. It seems like the bottom line turns out to be about 10% saving on cooling.

Gary

--

Gary

www.BuildItSolar.com