Posted to alt.home.repair
sym sym is offline

Default household voltage results

JimL wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 21:04:28 -0400, "Bob Bins"
wrote:

I had my digital volt meter hooked up to two outlets during the day. I
noticed that the voltage is normally around 114 volts. When I have my two
AC window units on it drops to about 109-112. If I then turn my microwave
on it drops to about 102-104. I tested this on two different circuits both
on different sides of the breaker panel. This voltage sounds low to me.
Is this normal or should I be seeing higher values?

See if you can find an IR (infrared) camera and look at your control
panel with your appliances running. I promise you that a drop from
114 to 102 is generating some heat, although it might not be in your
panel.

Carefully feel around for hot breakers and wires.

Complain about the voltage to your power company, but first ask them
if there is a charge.

the power company will most likely tell him to get an eletrician out
there first,thats been my experience.