Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Magnifying desk lamp?

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 21:32:19 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

It happens that T i m formulated :
The question is: would 1.75 x be enough' for that sort of work (being
the worst case etc) do you think please?

If not, can you get 'stronger' ones please (without spending a fortune
that is)? ;-)

The Maplin one is the one I have used for a few years and it is perfect
for dealing with fine PCB tracks. Too high a magnification can be
tiring on the eyes.

Hi Harry,

Another good point.

I have no idea what the magnification the lens was we used the other
day (it was glass, about 2.5" diameter and a good 1" thick (one face
flat)) but even with my 3.25's on I could have done with it 'bigger'
to see the tracks clearly and look for solder whiskers etc.

I take your point re eye comfort though .. with this rig up you had to
get everything right then find the 'sweet spot' where it was all in
view and in focus etc ...

I suppose it's like having a set of golf clubs .. each one right for
it's own job .. like my 1.75 reading glasses for general close up
looking (PC screen, reading etc. The 3.25's for 'close up work'
(fixing their jewelry, soldering small objects, reading 'small print')
etc. Then there would be the extra magnification for that PCB repair
(he was pretty sure I couldn't do it as the tracks were *very* fine
and densely populated) and real tiny stuff?

All the best ..

T i m