Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Building a Concrete Wall

wrote in message
ups.com...
My husband and I want to build a concrete wall (and finish it with
stucco) on the windy side of a concrete slab which we intend to make a
patio. The wall will be 20' in length by ~5 ft tall. Have a number of
questions to which we could not find answers on the web or in
literatu
- do we need rebar in a 5 ft high wall?
- how do we attach the wall to the house?
- can we just start laying block on the slab or do we need to put some
kind of footing in?
- the cement slab has a crack in it cause by a tree root nearby (we
think), will this cause the wall to shift or crack, could we span the
crack by say laying every other block on the bottom row?
- we live in central WA where the temp ranges from -20 to 106 (last
week), do we need to use special mortar or do anything special because
of the temp fluctuations?
- any other advice?
Thanks in advance.

Most walls 3 foot or more above grade require an engineer's stamp to be
legal. They also must be inspected and certified as built to plan. You
best check your local codes before you start..

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.