Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Why do old trinitron tubes go green?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
h wrote:

As per subject. My other old CRTs go dim but all the trinitron ones go
green. Is there a simple explanation?

It's not just Trintrons - pretty well all decent CRTs do this. At one time
to get a pure red the phosphor used was less sensitive than the others, so
that gun was driven the hardest. So aged first - resulting in the green
tint.

Later CRTs used a more 'orange' red which was more efficient and didn't
exhibit this fault. But wasn't as good as the original when new.

They haven't used the old fluorgermanate red phosphor in decades, early
60's or so? I've never actually seen a CRT that used it, everything in
my lifetime has been the newer orangish vanadate phosphor.