Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Testing an Electric Blanket

Dave D wrote:
"James Sweet" wrote in message
news:VdUwg.10284$2u4.1944@trnddc06...

Ah it's the greatest thing in cold winters, the wires are heavily
insulated, they're inside a blanket, and over a sheet. Cloth doesn't
conduct, what are the chances of actually getting electrocuted?

Slim but possible, but that's perhaps not their primary danger.

Yeah and my house could fall down in an earthquake in my sleep, or I could
trip and break my neck on my way to the bathroom at night, things happen.

You would perhaps have a different attitude if you'd been in a house where
an electric blanket burst into flames and set the bed alight. Half an hour
later and my parents would have been under it and asleep. Lucky I was in the
house at the time- they didn't smell the burning at all but I did and we
managed to put it out quickly.

Dave

Well I have a smoke alarm on the ceiling over my bed, as everyone
should. The blanket provides comfort that I'm willing to take a small
risk to enjoy.