Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C not starting up - Help needed

OK, line at a time. Look for my inserted text.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Peter" wrote in message
Need a little help over here......

I have a condo.... with a two part Bryant A/C system. One part is
the compressor and
squirrel cage blower vented through a brick wall to the outside.
The compressor pumps
freon to a ceiling unit which contains blower and distributes the
cooled air into
ductwork.
CY: Little unusual, but what the heck.

A/C system is not turning on..... I'm not getting 25 vac ac to the
wall unit.
Backtracking the wire...it seems that the low voltage is generated
by a transformer
and relay in the ceiling unit. Line Voltage is present on both
units, but a
measurement on what should be the low voltage circuit does not show
any voltage.
CY: The low voltage circuit is usually 18 gage wire. Rather small.

Any help is appreciated...... if you live in Washington, D.C. and
have a good
service company please let me know. Secondly, is there someplace
online where
I can get a good service manual for the unit...provided I have a unit
number....
CY:I don't know about the manuals. You could google, or check the
Bryant website.

and
Thirdly what's a good logistics source for Bryant air conditioners ???
CY: I live about half hour away from a Bryant parts house.

What signals should I be looking for in the low voltage circuit....
CY: Should be 24 VAC at the low power side of the Xformer. Should be
110 or 220 on the high voltage side of the Xformer.

there are 5 legs on
the relay which is mounted onto a step down transformer.....probably 2
line input, 2
output and there is a 5th wire in the center of the relay.
CY: Relay should have two coil wires, low power. Look again.