Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hilary@fashionsintime.com is offline

Default 1/4" brick over wall in kitchen

eggert28 wrote:
I am looking for a way to get this brick off the wall in my kitchen.
Chisel and a hammer could take for ever. Any suggestions would work.

How old is the house? Mine's 200+, and our kitchen also has a brick
wall. It was common at that time to use brick and mortar between the
studs. Our whole first floor is built that way. The previous owner
removed the plaster from one wall in the kitchen and stripped it back
to the studs/bricks. If I were to remove that, there'd be nothing but
the sheathing and clapboards on that wall, plus no studs to hold up the
second floor. I could remove just the bricks (had to do that in one
room when I replaced the sill plate), but then I'd need to fill up or
at least cover the space with drywall or something. If your wall is
purely decorative, are you sure it's real bricks and not just a
laminate or 1/2" brick facing? The age of the house should answer that
question.

Hilary