Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS GregS is offline

Default Testing an Electric Blanket

In article , (Fred McKenzie) wrote:
James Sweet wrote:

Ah it's the greatest thing in cold winters, the wires are heavily
insulated, they're inside a blanket, and over a sheet. Cloth doesn't
conduct, what are the chances of actually getting electrocuted?

James-

I think the chances are slim, but the OP had a special problem.
Considering the risks, one might decide to avoid use of an electric
blanket in some circumstances, unless there was an additional plastic
sheet between the user and the blanket. (The alternative of non-electric
blankets may be an undesireable choice due to the additional weight
required.)

As far as testing is concerned, perhaps a blanket could be soaked in a
saline solution in a conductive tub. Electrical leakage could be measured
between the tub and the blanket wiring. For a meaningful test, full
voltage (current limited) would be applied between the wiring and the
tub. For a safety factor, higher voltage might be used.

Passing such a test doesn't guarantee that leakage won't develop later
from normal wear and tear, so you're back where you started!

The test would only trip the integral ground fault interupter
if there was leakage. I have a feeling most all blankets now come with
fault interupters. Is that true??

greg